- experience covering local, national and international news (politics, foreign affairs, national security, and professional sports)
- story ideation
- in-depth research, including computer-assisted reporting (CAR)
- ability to track newsworthy events and newsmakers
- logging tape and live transcribing, quickly and accurately
- selecting newsworthy sound bytes with quick turnaround time
- highly organized and able to prioritize duties by newsworthiness and on deadline
- ability to juggle multiple stories at once
- nonlinear editing
- coordinating live shots
- field producing nationally and internationally
- flexibility and adaptability in the field
- quickly reacting to breaking news events and situations
- social media proficiency
- content management system (CMS) usage
- 24/7 news mentality
- television and radio background
Strengths Finder Qualities:
1. Responsibility -- taking ownership of anything committed to and seeing through actions until completion
2. Analytical -- challenging others to prove theories by facts and data points to ensure accuracy in truth
3. Command -- taking charge to present facts and truth, challenging others to be clear-eyed and honest
4. Significance -- continuing work with goals and achievements to keep moving upward
5. Deliberative -- working carefully to assess dangers/risks and minimize them, always planning ahead
TOKYO BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INTERNATIONAL
July 2012 -- April 2017
White House and Department of Defense producer for one of the oldest and largest television networks in Japan (a CBS News partner).
Responsible for daily coverage of U.S. foreign policy, national security, and political news events, covering briefings, gaggles, hearings and events. Acting field producer and logistics coordinator for national and international news, long-form features, and breaking news. Conducts camera work and on-camera interviews as necessary.
Multiple TBS worldwide award winner for Boston Bombing breaking news and defense coverage.
MLB NETWORK RADIO and SIRIUS XM SPORTS PROGRAMMING
August 2007 -- July 2012
Technical director. Cut and edited sports highlights, produced promos, show opens, rejoins and other production pieces, conducted show research, assisted producers and hosts, phone screening, assisted on-air.
Assisted primarily with MLB Network Radio, but also worked with Sirius XM NASCAR Radio and Sirius XM Fantasy Sports Radio.
MID-ATLANTIC SPORTS NETWORK
February 2011 -- December 2011
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER for NATS XTRA
Sifted through team and player statistics, created show graphics, selected sound bytes and game highlights for Washington Nationals live Pre- and Post-game shows.
Pitched content. Created reference rundown documents for talent. Reviewed video and graphic elements prior to air.
Communicated with Master Control to time out segments and commercial breaks. Communicated daily with Ads department on sponsorship air times.
College Park, Md.
PRODUCER and INTERNATIONAL REPORTER
Line producer for Maryland Newsline and Terrapin Time Out, University of Maryland’s news and sports television shows.
International broadcast reporter. One-man banded in Iceland: filmed, wrote and edited long-form piece on the resumption of whaling and the conflict with the country’s growing whale watching and tourism industry.
INTERN for INVESTIGATIVE UNIT AND SPECIAL PROJECTS
Intern with award-winning investigative unit team of producer Matt Goldberg and reporter Joel Grover. Conducted interviews, on-site investigative and undercover work, hidden camera work, topical research.
Also interned for NBC News Extra, a weekly news magazine show. Aided in package selection, wrote intros and teases, and show research.
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
College Park, Md.
May 2006 -- May 2009
DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMMING
Organized every campus-wide Student Government programming event, including campus dinners for over 1,300 guests, Homecoming activities and the football stadium Byrd Blackout. Chair of the Programming and Traditions Committee, teaching freshmen classes the history and traditions of the University of Maryland.
Member of the 2008-2009 Cabinet.
Elected representative of a residential campus community (Cambridge/Honors students) and the Philip Merrill College of Journalism.
Representative of UMd. to the ACC Leadership Conference.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SPJ CHAPTER
College Park, Md.
May 2007 -- May 2008
Assisted the acting president and planned events and programs for the local chapter. Chapter representative at three national and two regional conferences.
Club member from September 2005.